Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Friendship, Love and Marriage (3 year anniversary)

Today at 0900 I received a text from a dear friend: "Happy Anniversary!"  I hadn’t completely forgotten this time.  (Dan and I have forgotten year 1 and year 2.)  Since Dan flew into Virginia, I on and off thought about what to do.  Well, on and off, on and off-- today was...off.  WHOOPS!  Thanks friend! 

As Dan overheard me talking to this friend on the phone, he walked over to the couch and sat there pensive.  I got off the phone and looked at Dan.  He was looking at me strangely.  I could tell he had something to say. 

I asked, "What is it?  Speak!  Tell me!"

My sister Debbie whispered, "He knows!"

Thinking he had foiled my plan to once again surprise him, I bellowed, "Happy Anniversary!"

His facial expression shifted to grinned lips and surprised eyes.  He didn't know!  So our Anniversary surprise is over... oh well... we practically celebrated... my mom thought it was pretty romantic that Dan flew to VA in the first place... so we'll use that as our anniversary memory...tee hee.

Dan had something different on his mind.  Apparently he didn't like how I told my friend that he couldn't imagine a couple of lovebirds being together yet.   

Engaged at this point.  Fireside at BYU
Isn’t it interesting?  We are used to seeing people a certain way; for this friend, it was single.  When going from 'single' to 'together' there may be moments of 'awkwardness'.  Dan and I had those moments when dating.  Suddenly I was holding his hand in public!  And those who were used to my 'single' status had to become accustomed to my 'together' status.  I myself had to get used to it, especially because Dan was my first real boyfriend!  Awkward, interesting, strange, but OH SO BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL! 

I am grateful that Dan and I went from Friendship to Love to Marriage. 

Interesting, strange, scary, awkward, giddy, comfortable, desirable, happy, and sometimes emotional :)

Happy 3-year-anniversary!