Sunday, August 12, 2012

More details, and a more handsome picture of baby boy

Hello.  Genny here, recovering at home with baby boy.  I have started calling him James, although that may not be his name.  Here's the longer version of the birth story:

Tuesday evening, I felt light contractions, but they were gone by morning.

Wednesday 10:10 am, OBGYN appt.  I asked the doctor if I could possibly be induced since baby #1 was born 9 lbs.  She checked my cervix, which was 3 cm dilated and gave me the green light.

At 1pm, I received a phonecall from the hospital, saying that they had room for me if I could get there by 2pm.

2pm, we arrived at Swedish Hospital.  3pm, I received Pitocin. I walked around the hospital contracting until dilated to a 7.  I was surprised that I was only experiencing moderate pain, but I didn't want to take my chances.  Received epidural--was in heaven and could enjoy watching the Olympics.

9:30pm- I was dilated to a 10, but the doctor was with another patient.

10:25pm- doctor arrived.

10:31pm- pushed the baby out during one contraction. 

I am recovering a lot better with baby #2 than with Elena.  This baby is also a great breastfeeder, which was a huge hysterical battle with Elena.  I am so relieved.  I just need to get through a few more days of soreness, particularly with breastfeeding.  He's literally being a vampire.  Here's a much more handsome and dignified picture of "James".