Sometimes I feel like I date my children. Going on walks, looking at pretty views together, eating out...(When was the last time I did this alone with Dan?!?!)
Today we left the house at 10:30am and walked to Michael's well child appointment. 17th percentile for weight, 50th for height, and 85th for his big noggin. Elena was worried for Michael, "Mom, I don't want Michael to get a poke!" When the nurse came in with a vaccine, Elena was distraught. I suggested that she sit outside of the room on the floor and suck on a lollipop, while Michael got his shot. That calmed her down. After the shot, she wanted a "balloon", a blown up latex glove. While blowing it up for her, I accidentally popped it, and she cried for another one, which I couldn't get for her. I told her to calm down or I'd take away her lollipop. Cry, cry, cry--so I took it away. She calmed down, but started whining about the "balloon". I told her to stop talking about that balloon or she won't get her lollipop back. She cried, "Not my lollipop!!" Stopped talking about the balloon. 10 seconds later, "MY BALLOOOOOOON!" So I ate her lollipop in front of her shocked and distraught eyes. MEAN MOM! She calmed down a minute later, and off we continued on our journey.
From the doctor, I made a decision: we would not go home today. It was forecasted to be a hot day, and there is no airconditioning at home. Might as well stay out with the breeze.
We walked to my friend's house--she wasn't there.
We passed by a children's consignment store (used stuff for really cheap) and bought a few items: Elena got a bathing suit, sandals, and swim shorts. Michael got a short-sleeved onesie and a light weight blankie.
From there I walked as fast as I could to the grocery store because I really needed to use the W.C. ;) We picked up medicine, lunch, and sunblock.
Then we walked to Lincoln Park. Elena played a little in the ocean. Then I pulled Michael-in-stroller up a flight of STAIRS to the park, hoping the wading pool was open, but alas, it was not. So we swung on the swings and played in the playground. They were so cute laughing together on the swings. Warms a mommy's heart.
From there we walked A LOT along the edge of West Seattle and landed at Alki beach. At that point I was exhausted and famished. So we shared a peice of fish, french fries, and a chocolate banana milkshake at SPUDS. Oh that milkshake was divine. We then played at the beach. Elena searched for pretty rocks and chased Seagulls and Michael picked at random things.At 7:30pm, I called Dan at work (he was finishing up his homework). I said, "Dan, I don't want to walk the rest of the way home. Finish your homework then pick us up!-- I'd rather wait here till 10pm then walk the rest of the way home!". He picked us up at 8pm.
8.4 miles! WHAT A DAY!
I know this is really descriptive, but it captures what we like to do: MEANDER AND PLAY and sometimes lose our temper (though today was exceptionally long, and we rarely eat out). I feel very fortunate to be a stay-at-home-mom and feel like a free-spirit with my kids. One day they will go to school and it will be structured for decades, so I'm trying to enjoy this type of freedom with them right now.
