Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Elena's first stitches

I say Elena's first stitches, because I am afraid it won't be her last.

Last Friday we went to Lincoln Park to collect sea shells.  Elena and Ava were having a gay old time climbing on washed-up debris, and pretending they were on "lots of towers".

We continued up the hill, where we found ourselves at the zipline.

The first time Elena went down that zipline, she was 2 years old, and I feared that she would fly off that thing and hit the pavement.  Well, she has never fallen off the fast moving zip-line, but Friday, she accidentally slipped on a concrete step next to the zipline and fell on her chin.  While she came a cryin', I noticed big red drops of blood falling from her chinny chin chin.  And while applying pressure to stop the bleeding, I saw it and knew-- Dang it! She's gonna need stitches.

Fortunately, my friend Meghan was there with her 4 year old daughter Kaitlynn.  She offered to take Ava while we went to Children's Urgent Care. T

Elena got the whole shabang: 1- numbed, 2- drugged, 3- swaddled, 4-cleansed , 5- lidocained, 6-stitched.

(Dan had to exit the room in the middle of stage 4.  He began to feel a little woozy.)

Four stitches later, we got to take a loopy child home, (who saw two moons that night!)  She was in her own pain-free, psychedelic world.

Saturday, we drove Ava back to Sumner, watched her ballet performance, and said our official goodbyes.  The McClellan's got in the car and drove to their new home in Idaho.  Elena later cried saying that she too wanted to move to Idaho. (I'm sure Gma and Gpa Phillips would love to read that!) hehehhehe.