I sent Elena to clean her room. A few minutes later, she came out with a speck on her fingertip.
"Mom, I found an ant on my shelf."
After close observation, I declared the ant to be dead.
"Mom, let's hide it."
"No, Elena, why don't you put it in the toilet."
"No!" she exclaimed, her puppy-dog eyes welling up with tears, "We can't put the ant in there!"
"Ok, go put it outside on the grass."
"But will his family find him?"
"Yes."
After opening the outside door, "Mom, the wind blew the ant away. Did the wind blow him back to Heavenly Father?"
"Yes...."
"And will he come back to life?"
"Yes...."
After such sensitivity, I was surprised to hear her later say, "Mom, I found more ants, and I killed them."
"Why are you killing them?"
"Then they'll go to heaven all over again. Mom, they're fine. They'll just come back to life..."
She continued on to open the outside door, and then blew the ants away.
Hmmmmm......