Friday, July 2, 2010

Quirky

Thesaurus
Adj.1.quirky - informal terms; strikingly unconventional
unconventional - not conventional or conformist; "unconventional life styles"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

quirky
adjective odd, unusual, eccentric, idiosyncratic, curious, peculiar, unpredictable, rum (Brit. slang), singular, fanciful, whimsical, capricious, offbeat, out there (slang) We've developed a reputation for being quite quirky and original.

Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
So I finally filled my frames in with pictures after 4 months.  Hurray!  As I was peering at them through the camera, I ended up focusing on my feet, which brought back memories.  (PS.  Dan is currently not here to defend himself)


Once upon a time, there was a girl named Genny and a boy named Dan.  They were "a pair".  Dating, if you will.  One afternoon while lounging on the couch, Genny decided to start a conversation about quirkiness.  She went on to tell Dan how she thought he was quirky when she first met him.

Could you blame her?  Their first real encounter was on BYU campus; Genny was walking through the Talmage building and was stopped by Dan, who was dressed in black slacks, a white dress shirt, a bow tie, and had his hair parted down the middle!  This was normal for him. Very quirky.

Back to the lounging on the couch scene.  So Genny asked Dan, "Is there anything you thought was quirky about me?"  (First off, why on earth did Genny even ask this question?  She just set herself up for a ride.  Also, keep in mind that maaaaybe Dan didn't understand the definition of the word quirky.)

quirky #1: Genny's feet

He didn't think they were very attractive.  They look "different".  The second toe is really long.  They were (and still are) sandpaper-like-rough to the touch.  So they aren't very feminine, OKAAY!  Genny was sooooooo offended.  Maybe more insecure.  She thought, does he value my feet over my face?  Why do I even wear make-up?  What about my eyes?  Isn't that what people look at?  My FEET!?!?!?!  I can't change my feet!  Who cares about feet?!  Oh, he just went below the belt. 

quirky #2: Genny's name.  GENNY.  He never thought he'd date a girl named Genny.

and quirky #3: Genny's pinky finger.  He thought that her pinky finger looked really short compared to her ring finger.

At this point, Genny thought, This relationship can't go on. 
But it did.  
And they got married.
Quirky and all.
The end!

(Boise, ID wedding reception.  Dan teaching my dad and I how to tie a bow-tie.)

8 comments:

Candy Eash said...

So funny! I remember that drama. Misunderstandings indeed. :)
I would say the fabulous quirky things about you are your ability to be louder than anyone in the house without yelling. Your ability to eat and stay svelt (Debbie moreso), and your ability to marry a man who wears bowties and parts his hair down the middle, (and then - in a very saucy, come hither way) tassle away the part and remove the tie. ;) LU!

kim said...

The rose is beautiful,desirable and the smell is fantastic! but think about it. It is "quirky flower" because it has a thorn. But you got to have it and love them for every occasion...

We are attract to the quirkiness...
Something to talk about..If not world is too boring!

Vanessa said...

HAHAHAHA! So funny! You are such a great writer.

Oh hey, I am sitting in your living room right now!

I LOVE MY LIFE!

Dianne said...

I think you are quirky with your ability to get absolutely fixated on something but have the biggest ADD at the same time. Every week you were changing your major and were sure that this one was your calling in life.

Christy said...

That is too funny!!! I have always liked my feet(one of my best features I always thought) but when my husband and I were dating he pointed out to me that my feet were weird. WEIRRRD he says.

EXCUUUSSSEE me?!?! No, you didn't just say that! (Finger waving in his face). haha!

So now I have nothing to brag about, because he dashed all hopes of that.

I like your name. I think it's totally different spelled with a "G". And I can't remember if Dan parted his hair like that in high school...I'm sure he did. ;)

Julia Salomatina (Putilina) said...

Ну вот, теперь я знаю! Никогда нельзя показывать парням свои руки и ноги! Спасибо за урок. Я понимаю, почему никто не хочет на мне жениться!
Если честно, мне немного странно, что парни вообще обращают внимание на такие вещи. По-моему, девушки не очень часто обращают внимание, одинаковые у мужчин уши или нет, хотя нет, я обращаю :-Р Мужчины вообще очень странные (quirky)!!

Gaviota said...

JA JA JA JA JA JA...No se puede...

Benj and Vero said...

jaja, chevere que encontre tu blog, eres chistosa mujer. Sigue poniendo mas posts :) Donde viven? La ciudad se ve chevere. Tu bebe esta linda.