Sunday, September 12, 2010

Elders Lindsay and Smith

Elders Lindsay and Smith are the current missionaries in our ward. 
They are helping us see how we can be better member missionaries in our community.  
To be honest, this has been really hard for Dan and I to do.  And I think we are just full of excuses:
our excuses:
"I'm a stay at home mom and I don't meet as many people any more."
"At work it's all about 'work'.  We don't talk about much else."
"We just moved to this new area and don't really know many people."
"We aren't from here."
"Most of our friends are Mormon here."
etc. etc. etc.

Today the missionaries shared thoughts about listening to the spirit and opening our mouths when opportunities come our way.  Earlier in Sunday School, I had the 14-17 year olds teach about the plan of salvation.

And now I'm thinking.  I know about Heavenly Father's planI know where I came from, why I am here on this earth, and where I am going after this life.  I know that I am a daughter of a very real and loving Heavenly Father.  I know.

So why am I keeping this precious information all to myself?  I've got to step it up.

The Elders also asked if we prayed for missionary experiences this past week.  No, we forgot. 

So when they left, I taped on the wall above our bed:
(next to our gushy wedding pics that I keep in the bedroom, but for your viewing pleasure today!
Sorry. hahahahhaha)

When I talk to my children about missionary work, I don't want to only say, "When I was in Russia..."  I want to say, "When I was in Seattle..." or "Just last week..."  I used to have so much passion for missionary work.  I know that somewhere inside, I still do.  I just need to learn how to be a better member missionary.  And I will.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope you get them! I know I need to be better about that too...especially since I don't have a Russia reference to tell my kids.

Also, VERY surprised that you don't have any pictures with your finger in your nose. I swear all my pictures of you from Spain have your finger in your nose!! hahaha

SupaFlowaPowa said...

that's awesome Genny! Just carry some pass along cards and anytime you offer someone help or converse with someone, that starts... and then maybe after a couple of times, you can invite someone over for dinner. We have a big apartment so we're trying to do that but even that has been hard .. but try the supermarket!

kim said...

At first I was frustrated I could not devote like full time missionaries as a single person.
Being married we have another full time mission. That is not for 2 years or 3 years.. but could go at least 18 years until kids graduated high school or more...
Yeah, for that I gave up my Currier..
I realized that Showing good example close to "family" and to "fellow members of church" and to my "neighbors".
When my friends and my neighbors are curious about gospel than, I fully engage with conversation and introduce my living God...

Julia Salomatina (Putilina) said...

Мне очень нравится возможность рассказывать людям о Боге через Интернет! ;-) Я не очень много выхожу из дома, но постоянно бываю в Интернете.
Я знаю одну женщину, которая на каком-то форуме познакомилась с одним человеком, который показался ей странным. Конечно, он оказался членом Церкви и подарил ей Книгу Мормона, она крестилась и сейчас очень активная. С ее помощью к Богу пришло еще несколько человек, через Интернет! Она заходит на разные форумы и говорит на разные темы, и потом людям становится интересно, ПОЧЕМУ она такая. И она рассказывает им о восстановлении Евангелия. Мне кажется, это очень хороший способ, потому что на такие сайты заходят люди, которые хотят знать больше о Боге и которые открыты.
Один брат из Украины ходил в книжный магазин и стоял около книг Стефани Майер ;-) И когда подходил кто-то, он начинал говорить с ним и "вдруг" вспоминал, что она мормонка. О! Кто такие мормоны?.....