Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Preserving the best of one's "culture"

Once upon a time, Dan and I went to some Asian market and my mouth watered as I purchased yummy yummy GIMBAP! (it's a Korean sushi-type and it's the best!).  I remember the day as if it were yesterday.  I unwrapped the package of gimbap and selfishly devoured a couple.  Then I offered Dan a piece and he said,

"Ewwww, seaweed.  No thanks."

What?  WHAT?!?!?  My husband, not like seaweed?  I was DEVASTATED.  How can my supposed soul-mate not share this love of gimbap with me?  I started doubting our marriage when he said,

"Genny, just think of it as MORE FOR YOU!" 

But, BUT!  It's being able to share that moment of savoring over this food TOGETHER!  IT'S BONDING!!!  oooooooooooh nooooooooooooo!  Then I opened a bag of SHRIMP CHIPS and Dan said,

"That smells awful!"  

IT'S MY CHILDHOOD COMFORT FOOD!  And you don't like the smell?  ooooooooooooooooh nooooooooooooooooo!  How did I not catch this when we were dating?  It's like a red flag!!!!!  (I know, I know, I need therapy)

Ok, okay!  It's not a red flag, and it doesn't define one's marriage.  HOWEVER, I will not let this love for my childhood comfort food stop with me! 

Eat Elena, eat, EAT!!! muahahahahahaha!

The things I remember eating as a kid that may seem foreign to you:
Ramen with chopped up hotdog
Gimbap, or just seaweed with rice.  Basically the Korean pb and jelly sandwich.
Shrimp chips
Porridge (raw egg, soy sauce and sesame oil mixed with rice)  not the safest to pass on to posterity.
Mandu (korean dumplings)
Kimchee, rice and ketchup
ETC!!!

P.S.  To Dan's credit, we actually share a common interest in many ethnic dishes. ;)

1 comment:

kim said...

Yum! Yum! Crunch shrimp chips. Goody, Goody!

It is amazing to know that (all of the world) cook so many different way with same ingredient.
Here are list of food I thought(?) it was stinky when I ate first time.
Olive,Cheese, and Papaya! it took for year to get use to it. Who thought that I love to eat NOW! YUM!YUM! YUM!

By the Way, Elena, You are Q~T~Pie! ^^
Thousand kisses!