Thursday, August 18, 2011

OH, CA-na-daaaaa, la, la, la, la LA, la...

On August 3rd to the 8th, our family set sail to Boise ID for a Phillips Family Reunion.  I regret to inform you that I do not have pictures of the trip and wish for Phillips family members to send them my way.  PLEASE!  Will blog about that later.

On Monday, August 8th, Dan-Genny-Elena left Le Boise and drove 8 hours to  
Missoula, Montana.  
We stayed the night at the Motel 6.  Oh yeah, we go plush. :)
Tuesday, we hit the road and passed through
Glacier National Park, Montana USA
It was breathtaking.  LOVED IT :)

We then crossed the border and drove through Cardston, CANADA
where we saw a lovely TEMPLE of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Did you know that Cardston has about 70% Mormons?

Gretel and sister Katie
We finally arrived in Calgary that evening at the house of Ingrid, AKA Gretel.  
Gretel and I go way back to college at BYU.  
I thought her name was Gretel, so she started calling me Ursula.
When Dan and I started dating, she named him Sabastian.
And now that she met Elena and heard her scream,
Elena has been named Skuttle.  
Me thinks Gretel likes The Little Mermaid. :)
Gretel, thanks for the dinners, movies, and most of all
YOUR FRIENDSHIP!

Highlights of Calgary:
  • Heritage Park
  • Eau Claire market place
  • Corn Maze
  • Dan's pizza pan purchase
  • Free golfing attempt at Gretel's work.  THANKS! 
  • Visiting with one of Dan's mission companions, and one of my district leaders - Elder Richie Martin!  He is now married to Joey and they both have two kids :) 
Saturday, Gretel joined us for a lovely day at Banff National Park

Sunday, we enjoyed church and ate Gretel's traditional Sunday dinner: Roast, mash potatoes and corn!

We left our dear Gretel and sister Katie on Monday morning
and stopped at Lake Louise in Banff National Park,  
where we hiked from the base of the glacial lake...
...up to the plain of six glaciers, and ate soup at the tea house

That day  we drove through  
Soho, Glacier, and Revelstoke National Parks
and camped at the KOA in Revelstoke.

Tuesday morning, we decided to drive back to
Glacier National Park, CANADA, and hiked part of the Asulkan trail
where my left chaco broke!  Dan is happy for my dry, nasty feet to heal...

We then drove to Kamloops BC, and camped near a lake
(I bitterly hated that camp, and slept in the car with Elena.  Poor Dan)

Wednesday, Aug 17th, we woke up to Elena's left eye and cheek swollen from two mosquito bites,
drove to Vancouver BC
ate Japadogs, and took an hour break at Stanley Park.
You can tell here that Dan looks a little skeptical, but it was SO YUMMY!  GO JAPADOG!

We then drove the rest of the way home!
OVERALL, A GREAT TRIP!  Oh, CA-na-daaaaaa!  You are a beautiful country!

10 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow! Super jealous.

Daryl said...

You can get those kind of hot dogs in Seattle down by Pike Place Market. I've seen the cart a thousand times, but I've never tried it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gourmet-dog-japon-seattle

LB said...

Oh Canada! Isn't she beautiful! I'm glad you guys got to check out Lake Louise, it's one of my favorite spots. (Also hate to be nitpicky but I'm pretty sure Kamloops and Vancouver are not in Washington...just saying :) Glad you had such a great vacation!

Genny said...

ha! thanks lisa, i just noticed that and made the changes :)

Mindy said...

Looks like your Canada trip was a success!
I also am short on pics from Boise because I forgot my camera battery charger....but the few I have are up on facebook.....you are welcome to steal any that you want. :)

Gaviota said...

Hermosos paisajes!! Pobre Elena!!!!!

Yulia said...

that's some crazy looking hot dogs! what an awesome trip! I've always wanted to visit Missoula, Montana. Oh and Canada too :)

kim.higdon said...

No wonder that you are forgetting your aniversary!
Seens like every weekend is aniversary.
You are visiting close to havenly places.
Just breat taking!
Cutie, tussie, Elena!
You have to watch out! Especially when your kid sleeping in mountains.
Mosqitos loves to go behind of sweet blood.
Xo.Xo

Carly said...

What a fun trip! You got some awesome pictures. And I'm still laughing that you guys forget your anniversary... :)

kim said...

Elena, You are adorable!