Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Yams vs Sweet Potato Debate-- do we do this?

Today at a church activity, I had an entertaining debate with a friend over the color of a sweet potato vs a yam.  Someone whipped out their iphone and finally proved that they both can share the same color.  In the end, we were both right, I guess :)  However, I did drop by the good ol' grocery store, and according to Fred Meyer, I won the debate (in my eyes). Of course. 

The point of the story is: WHO CARES?!  Have we ever found ourselves debating over which way when in the end it doesn't matter;  when in the end, both ways can be right?  This yam vs sweet potato event made me reflect on the way we at times think how a task (program/lesson/class/group/chore/etc) should be a certain way, when in the end, it's all the same color, and it tastes sweet too!--you know what I'm saying?  Snap your fingers, people, this is deep stuff here!!!

Here's a great recipe: Sweet potato and black bean quesadillas!

Ingredients:
-1 sweet potato or yam; 1 onion, chopped; 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped; 1 can black beans, drained; cheese; tortillas
Directions:
-Peel, cut, and bake the potato (covered in foil) until soft
-In a pan, sautee the onion, then add the sweet potato, beans, and cilantro. Mash.
-Take the tortilla and make a quesadilla, using cheese and the mixture.
-eat with whatever other toppings you want.  SOOOO YUMMY!

Alternatively, you can grate the sweet potato, and saute it with the onion and black beans.  NO mashing.  A similar yet different flavor.  SOOO YUMMY!

4 comments:

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

I remember the first time you guys made these! Still one of my favorite quickie vegetarian recipes ever.

Kelly Shane said...

hey where did you get that cute I am mormon tag I would like that on my blog!

Genny said...

from mormon.org

Marvel Fouolger said...

I like your insight and agree. However - when you actually choose to cook - choose a red garnet yam. Sweet potatoes are dryer and don't have the flavor. Since Thanksgiving is near and yams are always on my menu, I pass this along. G'ma Foulger