Monday, May 14, 2012

Who am I? What am I? :)

I remember a time in college when i was trying to figure out 'who i was' and where i fit in.  I then decided to try out the Asian Ward/Congregation in the area, you know, cause I'm half Korean.  Duh, shouldn't my face determine where I fit in?--(Sarcasm).  I left unsettled.  So I called my Korean mom.

"Mom, I don't know what it is, but I don't seem to fit in with the Asian crowd here."

My mom responds in her Korean accent, "Genny, you are not Asian.  You are American.  You think that just because you eat some Korean food, you understand our culture?  No."

So I've come to the conclusion that I may look Asian (well, half anyway) but culturally I'm American with a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  BUT WHO AM I REALLY!?!?!  Human, probably.  Which brings me to this book that I just read:

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. 

Historical fiction. 1940's. Seattle Washington.  The "Japanese Americans" were relocated from their homes. MISTREATED I TELL YOU!   They were relocated because they were "Japanese" and the Japanese were a threat at that time during the war.  But really, they were American, just like me.

In the book, many hid their family belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel before they were relocated. (oh and there's a cute romantic story in there too. very cute. )

Saturday, we took the bus to the city: 
 The coolest part was walking into the Hotel/tea house, 
standing over a cut-out into the basement,
and seeing remnants of family belongings left behind after all those years.
 Read the book and go to the Panama Hotel.  It's quite eye-opening