Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Celebrating Blog Post #300!

So Genny had this great idea to help encourage Elena to go potty on the toilet.  She put a poster board on the wall with numbered circles 1 through 20 and a toy that Elena had picked out stuck to the top.  The numbered set was labeled Pee Pee.  Similarly, there was a second set of numbered circles 1 through 10 with another toy at the top and it was labeled Poo Poo with a drawing of brown frosting...errr something.
Whenever Elena went Pee Pee on the toilet, we put a sticker on a numbered circle leading up to 20.  Whenever Elena went Poo Poo... wait, she didn't... we'll skip this case.

The toy at the top was a magnet sketching toy Elena called "Airplane" because it had a picture on the front of an airplane.

About 2 and a half weeks, Elena had made her way to 19 Pee Pee's.  Then she Pee Pee'd on the floor.  We took away 2 stickers.

Finally, she made it to 20 Pee Pee's!

I pulled down the toy as she shouted "Airplane! Airplane!"  I helped her open it.  The Airplane ended up being a piece of cardboard in front of the actual toy.  Elena was confused.  "Where'd the Airplane go?"
Then, I got an idea.  I put the cardboard back on the toy and traced the airplane.  "Ta da!"  Elena was thrilled.  "Airplane!"

This led to the next idea.  I went and got some UNO cards and started to trace numbers.  Elena was hooked.  She started practicing tracing numbers.

Two days later, without the UNO cards out, she said, "Dad! Lookit!"

"Five!" she said.

Genny says no one will read such a long post.  If you made it this far, you've proved her wrong :).


6 comments:

Candy Eash said...

I made it that far!
(I hope people read long posts -- because mine are always long. ;))

Yay Elena!

kim said...

Ha,Ha! Being a creative is fun!
Elena's success is depend on the parents that how to menage.
Some times parent are not patient and persistence...
Meanwhile smart Elena will continue play the game against the parents.
In the end "both" will win!
Good luck! for exciting game!!!!
Fighting! Elena. :)

The McClellan Family said...

She is soooo smart!! I made it through!!

Debbie said...

WHERE IS THE PICTURE!?!?!?!

Kurt, Alexandra, Yulia, Isabella said...

Keep going, Genny! And Elena is so close!!

Sue said...

So smart, Elena, and so smart daddy, and so smart mommy for starting the reward game :-)
Sounds like we need another toy at the top of the poo poo chart...