We were horribly judgmental.
We moved into West Seattle, "rich man's land", or so we thought. Going to church, we looked at the members and felt intimidated by their richness.
They probably only like to talk about rich belongings, rich hobbies, rich lifestyles and shopping sprees. How are we going to connect with that?!?!?!
They all seem to have extended degrees, speak so eloquently... How are we going to connect with that?!?!?
Anyway, we had dinner with the bishop's family and confessed our judgement of the ward members in "Rich, educated West Seattle."
We were corrected.
Of course there is the rich area we all think about, but it is not all that way. No, not everyone is flowing with money. But even if they were, how dare Dan and I make assumptions about what "rich people" think about, or do with their free time, or their ability to connect with those who have less? Can rich people not be good?
So yeah, we've got some repenting to do. And we are excited to get to know our neighbors for who they are, and not for what they have or don't have.
On a side note, Dan started his masters degree in 'systems architecting and engineering'. Night school. Thursdays. On-line.
Ironic, isn't it?
4 comments:
I love you Genny and how real your posts are sometimes. This is something I am consistently at fault for and am also working on. You are educated and will one day be rich! Rich hobbies and all.
We all pass judgment! Sometimes, we have to in order to make the best decision for ourselves/families. Sometimes we do because we are being prideful (remember Pres. Kimballs' pride talk years ago that discussed how pride can mean comparing yourself and looking down on yourself while looking up and judging someone else?) and compare ourselves to others. We can all do better. You are awesome and I'm glad you learned this lesson and reminded me of it how much I can do to work on it too! :)
Bhahaha! I love that you are so honest. We totally did that when we moved into our ward here! There was no way were going to 'fit in' with all these home owners that had toys like boats and snow machines and big people jobs. Then someone refused to go to a bookclub with me because they assumed I was snobby since I lived in that ward. PLEASE..ME...I'm as dumb as they come! Anyways, I've been actively open minded ever since. LOL! I like being surprised by people. I miss you guys so much!
Human eyes:judged by appearance.
Human heart: judged by feeling
human mind:judged by your own knowledge.
But if you judged by "spirit",
your eyes become like a 3D.,
That is Cool thing!
Combination of (your eyes, heart and mind) that can see real "You" and "others" and can distinguish good and evil and right and wrong also can read intention of the people and not by how many or how much you have..
Deceiving.., what can you lose?
mind,heart,health,friend and family,even your soul.
I often pray & ask to the lord,the Spiritual gift of discerning..and I ponder each every situation...
Ah,Dan. Congratulation for your progress decision! I got the flyer from church that Offering program from BYU Idaho and I am going apply. Education is cool thing!
Post a Comment