Sunday, April 30, 2017

Weekend in Utah

Before I forget, I must document about my visit to Utah April 7-9th.

Well my good friend Jorelle, who I met when I first moved to Seattle in 2008, was diagnosed with Stage 4 tongue cancer.  She was precancerous for a few years, and it all of a sudden jumped to stage 4 in December.  The doctors cut out a third of her tongue, and she did 6 weeks of radiation treatment in Salt Lake City.  Friends and family took turns visiting her during this 6 week period, including myself. 

 Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing

Friday Charlie and I hopped on the plane and happened to sit in front of Anthony Williams (I went on a study abroad with him to Spain in 2003.)  Met his wife and two kids.  So fun!  Then I arrived in SLC, and had dinner with Jorelle.  She could only have soup since she is on a liquid diet.  Friday night I went to a Vladivostok mission reunion that happened to occur while I was there!  It was so great to catch up with some old mission companions and friends, including Corinna Barrett, Smitty, Todd Anderson, and of course the Oswalds.  That night I spent the night at Dianne Swift Adam's house. 

 Image may contain: 19 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

Saturday, relaxed with Dianne and Adam for the morning, and then they took me to breakfast.  So fun to catch up with them.  Then I returned to Jorelle and followed her and her mom to her sister's babyshower.  While they were there, I snuck away and visited with Eileen and family in West Jordon, returned with Jorelle and we met with other friends and hers for movie and dinner.  Watched The Shack, which made everyone cry.  When we got out of the movie, it was snowing!  That night I spent the night with Sasha, my first mission companion in Russia.

Sunday morning, I ate breakfast with Sasha's family and went to church with them.  I sat with her in Primary as she played the piano, which was very reminiscent.  At church I met up with Anthony's twin John, who also went to Spain with me in 2003.  So fun.  Then I visited with Daisy and family on my way back to Salt Lake.  She went to jr high/ high school with me, but later joined the church after college.  I finally returned to Jorelle and her mom, and we met up at Temple Square, and watched short movies in the visitors center. 

I am amazed with all the love poured onto Jorelle from family and friends.  Although her treatments are so painful, she is trying to stay positive.  I first thought it was going to be just me and her that weekend, but so many others wanted to see her, so I needed to share the love.  It worked out great for me, because I got to visit with so many people.  A great weekend. 

No comments: